– 1.5 lbs ground beef
– 5 potatoes, peeled and diced -or- 2 packets instant potatoes (ala Betty Crocker)
– 1 can sweet corn, drained -or- 1/2 can corn and 1/2 can green beans -or- 1.5 cups frozen vegetable medley, thawed and drained
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1/2 cup onion, chopped
– 3 tbsp butter or margarine, divided
– 1/4 cup milk
– 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Instant/jarred beef gravy, or your favorite beef gravy recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 1 tbsp. butter in medium skillet. Sautee garlic and onion until softened and slightly browned.
- Add ground beef to skillet, as well as Worcestershire, salt, and pepper. Cook until browned. Drain, removing as much grease as possible.
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes in medium pot with well salted water until tender, then drain. Place potatoes back in the pot and add milk and 1 tbsp. butter. Mash/mix until smooth. OR prepare instant potatoes according to package directions.
- Spray a large casserole dish (13×9 – ish) with non-stick spray. Put browned beef in the bottom of the casserole dish. Place vegetables of choice on top of beef. Finally, spread mashed potatoes evenly on top.
- Spread 1 tbsp butter over the top of the potatoes, and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover, and place in oven. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. If a browned top is desired, remove casserole from oven, uncover, and place under broiler for a SCANT few minutes, until potatoes are lightly browned.
- Heap onto plates and serve with gravy.
A good alteration/addition for this recipe is to add a layer of stuffing (like Stove Top) on top of the meat/veggies, under the mashed potatoes.